All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith a diverse oeuvre ranging from painting to mixed-media installations to performance, video, and photography, Maria Magdalena Campos-Pons is one of the most significant artists to emerge from post-Revolutionary Cuba. Her evocative works probe questions of race, class, cultural hybridism, and national identities in African diasporic communities. Maria Magdalena Campos-Pons: Everything Is Separated by Water is the first full-scale survey of the artist's career. The title, borrowed from one of her works, evokes at once the dangerous sea crossings faced by her enslaved ancestors from Africa and her Cuban contemporaries seeking greater freedom in America, and the sense of dislocation felt when physical and geopolitical barriers divide family and friends, past and future. Lisa D. Freiman considers how Campos-Pons's practice, which is predicated on concepts of separation, memory, and fragmentation, developed and transformed from her artistic training and early production in Cuba in the 1980s through her move to the United States in 1991 and her subsequent recognition as a major figure in the international art world. Okwui Enwezor interprets Campos-Pons's expressive materials--reassembled fragments of lost traditions and symbols, and memories of personal and collective history, religion, and mythology--within the context of post-colonial theory. Handsomely designed and produced, this book offers an unprecedented opportunity to assess the significance and import of this challenging artist's work.
- Author BiographyLisa D. Freiman is curator of contemporary art at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Okwui Enwezor is Dean of Academic Affairs and Senior Vice President at the San Francisco Art Institute. He is author of Reading the Contemporary: African Art, from Theory to the Marketplace.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/02/2007
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleIndianapolis Museum of Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note80 colour illustrations
- Weight1415 g
- Width248 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byLisa D. Freiman
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.