All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat makes a woman either rage against or surrender to the choices made for her by the society's expectations? Margaret doesn't want to marry, have children, or settle for the life her mother had and is willing to go to great lengths to avoid such drudgery, including turning her back on her family forever. After running away from home at 17 she meets a wealthy young man who introduces her to excitement beyond her wildest dreams, and helps her to enter the swinging jazz club scene. Follow the journey of a woman ahead of her time who survived life as an unwed mother of children to different fathers during an age of intolerance to 'women of low morals'. Discover the many rules she breaks in order to achieve contentment with the man she loves. This is a story that considers the devastating issues of war-time love, parental restrictions in the early part of the 20th century and the dreadful taboos common to women who loved and found themselves 'in the family way' without hope of, or in some cases the desire for, a husband. This vel is set in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Author BiographyDixie (Maria) Carlton is a New Zealander living in Brisbane Australia, where she works as a business coach and marketing consultant. This is her first novel, although she has contributed to and co-authored several other business books.
- Author(s)Dixie Carlton
- PublisherPanoma Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPanoma Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.