All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMaria de Zayas y Sotomayor (1590-1650?) published two collections of novellas, Novelas amorosas y exemplares (1637) and Desenganos amorosos (1647), which were immensely popular in her day. During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Victorian and bourgeois sensibilities exiled her scandalous works to the outer fringes of serious literature. Over the last two decades, however, she has gained an enthusiastic and ever-expanding readership, drawing intense critical attention and achieving canonical status as a major figure of the Spanish Golden Age. In this first comprehensive study of Zayas's prose, Margaret R. Greer explores the relationship between narration and desire, analyzing both the desire for readers displayed by Zayas in her Prologue and the sexual desire that drives the telling within the novellas themselves. Greer examines Zayas's narrative strategies through the twin lenses of feminist and psychoanalytic theory. She devotes close attention to the weight of Renaissance literary traditions and the role of Zayas's own cultural context in shaping her work.She discusses Zayas's biography and the reception of her publications; her advocacy of women's rights; her conflictive loyalty to an aristocratic, patriarchal order; her crafting of feminine tales of desire; and her erasure of the frontiers between the natural and supernatural, indeed, between love and death itself. In so doing, Greer offers an expansive analysis of this recently rediscovered Golden Age writer.
- Author BiographyMargaret R. Greer is Associate Professor of Spanish at Duke University. Her previous books include The Play of Power: Mythological Court Dramas of Pedro Calderon de la Barca (1991) and La estatua de Prometeo by Pedro Calderon de la Barca: A Critical Edition (1986).
- Author(s)Margaret Rich Greer
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2000
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican & European Philosophy S.
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight705 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.