All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn paperback for the first time, this author's bestselling biography of Mario Lanza w contains a fabulous new collection of forty rare photographs drawn from the private collections of Lanza's closest friend Terry Robinson, and the ter's niece, the former actress Dolores Hart. Mario Lanza was blessed with one of the great ter voices of all time, a consummate artist whose repertoire recognized musical boundaries. Groomed at the outset for a career on the opera stage, Lanza instead got sidetracked into Hollywood, where his powerful singing and larger-than-life personality made him an overnight sensation. His films, most tably The Great Caruso and Serenade , brought the world of Puccini and his contemporaries to countless millions, confirming his status as one of the most exciting entertainers of his day. But his staggering successes came at a high price and by the age of thirty-eight he was dead, a victim of his own troubled psyche and expansive lifestyle. This richly detailed and definitive examination of Mario Lanza's life and times, warmly endorsed by the singer's daughter, Ellisa Lanza Bregman, confronts the tragedy head-on, revealing in the process a man torn apart by inner demons and an unbridled passion for life. It also includes the most exhaustive analysis ever captured in print of Lanza's unforgettable career as a recording, film and concert artist.
- Author BiographyDerek Mannering was born in Dublin, Ireland. He has lectured on film and television, produced and directed a short film which was screened on RTE, and has written and presented a number of radio programmes for RTE in Dublin and WFMT in Chicago. This is his second biography of Mario Lanza. The first, Mario Lanza: A Biography was published by Robert Hale in 1991. He is also the author of Mario Lanza: A Life in Pictures, also published by Hale. The author currently lives in Chicago.
- Author(s)Derek Mannering
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2006
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight600 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.