All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA highly-anticipated volume that elucidates Marisol's artistic evolution and reestablishes her as a major figure in postwar American art The Paris-born, Venezuelan artist Marisol (b. 1930) burst onto the 1960s New York art scene with large figural sculptures in a wild amalgam of mixed media. Often satirical, Marisol's art is inspired by sources as diverse as Pre-Columbian art, folk art, Cubism, and Surrealism. For the past several decades, however, Marisol has shunned the spotlight and her artwork has been overlooked as a result. Accompanying the first retrospective of Marisol's work in more than a decade, this long-awaited and beautifully illustrated volume offers a much-needed corrective, reestablishing her role as a major figure in postwar American art. Essays by leading scholars of Latin American and 20th-century art explore all facets of her work including her influences, the theme of family, American politics and pop culture, Native American rights and poverty, her role as a female artist, and her relationship to Latin America and Latin American art.
- Author BiographyMarina Pacini is chief curator of American, modern, and contemporary art at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Memphis, TN. Bill Anthes is associate professor of art history at Pitzer College, Claremont, CA. Dore Ashton is professor of art history at the Cooper Union, New York, and senior critic at the Yale School of Art. Deborah Cullen is director and chief curator of the Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery at Columbia University, New York. Douglas Dreishpoon is chief curator at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York.
- Author(s)Marina Pacini
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/05/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note184 colour illustrations
- Weight1383 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.