All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book-length study of Mark Z. Danielewski, an American velist who is rapidly establishing himself as a leading figure in the landscape of contemporary literature. It places his three major works to date, House of Leaves, The Fifty Year Sword and Only Revolutions, in their literary-historical context, and considers them alongside the media platforms which they have inspired, including internet forums and popular music. Leading critics examine Danielewski's pioneering vels, generating new insights into their invative interplay of word and image. A variety of critical perspectives are adopted, from the close analysis of the poetic form of Only Revolutions to the consideration of the effects of his work on the reader. Danielewski's use of epic tropes is explored, as too is the relationship of his work to that of his most influential predecessors (including James Joyce) and his most relevant contemporaries (including David Foster Wallace). His radical reappraisal of the dynamic possibilities that the printed book has to offer in this digital age is a common theme. The book will be of significant interest to all scholars working on Danielewski, as well as to students of the American vel, contemporary literature, and twenty-first century media culture. It will also appeal to Danielewski's many fans, and all those, who like the contributors to this volume, have been inspired by his work.
- Author BiographyJoe Bray is Senior Lecturer in Language and Literature at the University of Sheffield. Alison Gibbons is Lecturer in Stylistics, Language and Literature at De Montfort University, Leicester.
- PublisherManchester University Press
- Date of Publication18/02/2011
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleContemporary American and Canadian Writers
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintManchester University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, black & white
- Weight454 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAlison Gibbons,Joe Bray
- Series Edited bySharon Monteith,Nahem Yousaf
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.