All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSignificant life passages are marked by ritual in virtually every culture. Weddings and funerals are only two of the most obvious ones. A wide variety of rites, both traditional and invented, also mark birth and coming of age. However, many major transitions remain unmarked. Marrying & Burying tells an intensely personal story about the role of ritual in Ron Grimes's own rich and sometimes difficult life. His critique of ritual impoverishment in North America reveals the extraordinary potential that ritualizing holds for negotiating and enriching transitions, both exalted and mundane. Always aware that two people's experiences are alike, he encourages readers to think critically and creatively about the role of ritual in their own lives. Grimes generous and unsentimental but also unflinchingly honest, so he offers easy answers. Using an impressive array of genres, he examines the problems of ritualizing in ways that can stitch together the torn pieces of a man's life. Fiction, poetry, journal, and essay create a multivocal text, a symphonic portrayal of the mysterious and intransigent human need to ritualize. This is a book for anyone committed to untangling the meaning of life as actually lived. It offers the student of contemporary North American spirituality and culture a rare opportunity to glimpse the humanity behind a scholar's analysis of ritual.
- Author BiographyRonald L. Grimes is the author of several books on ritual, most recently The Craft of Ritual Studies (Oxford University Press, 2014). He resides in Waterloo, Ontario, where he is Director of Ritual Studies International and Professor Emeritus of Religion and Culture at Wilfrid Laurier University. Recently, he has held the following positions: Visiting Professor of Religious Studies at Charles University, Prague in the Czech Republic; Senior Researcher and Senior Lecturer at Yale University; and Chair of Ritual Studies at Radboud University Nijmegen in the Netherlands.
- Author(s)Director of Ritual Studies International and Professor Emeritus of Religion and Culture Ronald L Grimes
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication04/10/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.