All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe prodigious writings of Martin Gardner, from his Mathematical Games column in Scientific American to the 70-plus books he authored, had an ermous influence on the field of recreational mathematics. This book collects articles Gardner wrote for the MAA in the twenty-first century, together with other articles the MAA published from 1999 to 2012 that are inspired by his work. Eight of Gardner's articles are presented here: together they represent his playful and engaging approach to recreational mathematics, and the breadth of his interests, spanning geometry, number theory, graph theory, probability, and pseudo-science. The remaining 33 chapters are a diverse collection of responses to Gardner's work, many of which address open problems. This book is a tribute to the deep and lasting impact of a prolific and brilliant writer. It is for anyone who, like Martin Gardner, loves mathematics.
- Author BiographyMichael Henle is a professor of mathematics at Oberlin College. He is the author of several books including Which Numbers are Real? published by the MAA in 2012. Trained as a functional analysis, he also writes on combinatorial subjects and geometry. He is serving as editor of The College Mathematics Journal through to 2013. Brian Hopkins is a professor of mathematics at Saint Peter's University in Jersey City, New Jersey. He won, with Robin Wilson, the 2005 George Polya Award, edited the 2008 MAA Notes volume Resources for Teaching Discrete Mathematics, and was given the 2011 MAA New Jersey Section Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics. Much of his research stems from Bulgarian Solitaire, a topic popularized by Martin Gardner. Hopkins will be the editor of the College Mathematics Journal from 2014 to 2018.
- PublisherMathematical Association of America
- Date of Publication26/10/2011
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMathematical Association of America
- Content Note211 b/w illus. 13 tables
- Weight550 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byBrian Hopkins,Michael Henle
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.