Mary Chesnut's Illustrated Diary Mulberry Edition Boxed Set: Volume 1: Mary Chesnut's Diary from Dixie and Volume 2: Mary Chesnut's Civil War Photographic Album by James Kibler, Martha Daniels, Mary Chesnut, Barbara McCarthy (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $117.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $160.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe photograph album will afford both Chesnut scholars, students of American culture and literature, and Civil War buffs alike an absolute treasure trove of primary source material to study and celebrate. In this two-volume collection, Daniels reanimates Chesnut's ambition to share her epic view of the great tragedy of Civil War as we never have seen it vivified before. -Julia Stern, Northwestern University, author of Mary Chesnut's Civil War Epic An engrossing work! I was fascinated by the saga of the cartes de visite . . . this conveys the excitement of the hunt, and more importantly it is clear to me that Chesnut's careful amassing of these photographs evidences the seriousness over many years with which she worked on a publishable version of her journals. -Elisabeth Muhlenfeld, biographer of Mary Chesnut, former president of Sweet Briar College, chairman of the American Civil War CenterThis exquisitely produced two volume set includes Mary Chesnut's diary, which was originally published forty years after the Civil War, and her personal picture albums. Lost or stolen since the 1930s, the albums were only rediscovered in 2007 and filled with antated pictures of the many people found throughout Mary Chesnut's personal diary. The diary itself has been enhanced by cameos and woodcuts throughout each chapter.ABOUT THE AUTHORSMartha M. Daniels provides an introduction to both volumes. Her well-researched accounts give life to the photographs accompanying the diary for the first time. She is a member of the eighth generation of the Chesnut and Williams family to preserve Mulberry Plantation-the original home of James and Mary Chesnut. Barbara E. McCarthy lives in Camden, South Carolina, on her horse farm. Her background in medical interpretation and interest in horses and history led to a collaboration with Daniels. McCarthy works in the Mulberry Archives transcribing old documents, digitizing records, and researching Southern history. James Everett Kibler is a writer and professor of English at the University of Georgia and recipient of the Jefferson Davis Lifetime Achievement Award for his literary works.
- Author(s)Barbara McCarthy,James Kibler,Martha Daniels,Mary Chesnut
- PublisherPelican Publishing Company
- Date of Publication28/09/2011
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPelican Publishing Company
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight3515 g
- Width196 mm
- Height272 mm
- Spine79 mm
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.