Mary Higgins Clark: A Critical Companion by Linda de Roche, Linda C. Pelzer (Hardback, 1995)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $65.29Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBest-selling author Mary Higgins Clark, the Queen of Suspense, uses a popular literary genre, the vel of mystery and suspense, to explore contemporary social issues and the reality of evil in the lives of ordinary people. This first critical study of her work reveals the serious intent of a popular writer of popular fiction. It examines common themes-the consequences of crime on incent victims, how crime forces its victims to confront their deepest psychological fears and the terror of the past-and explores Clark's treatment of current social issues from capital punishment to child abuse. The study provides close textual analysis of each vel in turn, revealing the surprising depth of Clark's work and her extraordinary gift for working within a number of literary genres under the guise of popular fiction. This study analyzes all of Clark's fiction including her most recent Remember Me and The Lottery Winner. Pelzer places Clark's fiction in the context of its genre and provides close textual analysis of each vel. In addition she provides alternative critical perspectives that offer additional insight. For ease of use by the reader, each chapter is devoted to a single vel and is subdivided into sections on narrative strategies (plot, time, and setting), thematic development, character development, and alternative perspectives on the vel. Pelzer also analyzes Clark's use of generic conventions as well as her distinctive style. This study helps the reader to understand the deeper and richer aspects of Clark's fiction and to appreciate why her reputation is so well deserved. A key purchase for secondary school, public, and community college library collections.
- Author BiographyLINDA C. PELZER is Associate Professor of English at Wesley College in Dover, Delaware. A specialist in American literature, she is a former Fulbright scholar. She is currently at work on a study of the work of Gail Godwin.
- Author(s)Linda C. Pelzer,Linda de Roche
- Date of Publication24/10/1995
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCritical Companions to Popular Contemporary Writers
- Series Part/Volume Number362
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight427 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Foreword byKathleen Gregory Klein
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.