All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe icoclastic and bestselling cartoonist of Paying for It: A Comic-Strip Memoir About Being a John returns with a polemical interpretation of the Bible that will be one of the most controversial and talked-about graphic vels of 2016. Mary Wepte over the feet of Jesus is the retelling in comics from of nine biblical stories that present Chester Brown's fascinating and starling thesis about biblical representations of prostitution. Brown weaves a connecting line between Bathsheba, Ruth, Rahab, Tamar, Mary of Bethany, and he Birgin Mother and the reassesses the Christian moral code by examining the cultural implications of the Bible's representations of sex work. Mary Wept over the Feet of Jesus is a fitting follow-up to Brown's sui generis graphic memoir Paying for It, which was reviewed twice in the New York Times and hailed by sex workers for Brown's advocacy for the decriminalization and rmalization of prostitution. Brown approaches the Bible as he did the life of Louis Riel, making these stories compellingly readable and utterly pertinent to a modern audience. In classic Chester Brown fashion, he provides extensive handwritten endtes that delve into the biblical lore that informs Mary Wept over the feet of Jesus. 'There aren't many cartoonists as brave - or frankly, as strange - as this Canadian artist.' - Rolling Stone.
- Author BiographyChester Brown was born in Montreal in 1960 and is best known for his two recent non-fiction graphic novels: the meticulously researched and Harvey-Award winning Louis Riel, and the controversial, critically acclaimed Paying for It. Brown began self-publishing his comic book series Yummy Fur at twenty-three, and has been publishing with D+Q since 1991. He is also the author of The Playboy, I Never Like You, The Little Man, and Ed The Happy Clown. Brown lives in Toronto, where he ran for Parliament twice as a member of the Libertarian Party of Canada.
- Author(s)Chester Brown
- PublisherDrawn and Quarterly
- Date of Publication12/04/2016
- SubjectGraphic Novels: General
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDrawn and Quarterly
- Content Noteblack and white drawings throughout
- Weight318 g
- Width191 mm
- Height108 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.16
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.