All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMary Stoltzfus is thirty years old, splashed with freckles, and unmarried. In her Amish world, that qualifies her to be called an old maid. She is living her quiet schoolteacher life in the Lancaster County Amish community when she gets a surprising invitation in the mail one day. Would she come to Montana to teach? Of course t, she decides, fully at home in eastern Pennsylvania, where she can go out to eat in dozens of restaurants, do her laundry in a newfangled washer that's powered by compressed air, and hire a driver if she wants to go farther than her horse and buggy can comfortably take her. What is there to do in Montana, she sniffs. But soon she becomes anyed by the cracks in the floor of her one-room schoolhouse, the ise of the nearby road, and the two eighth-grade boys who try to make toilet paper cigarettes and nearly burn down the privy. Before long, Mary is on Amtrak, just to take care of her curiosity, she explains to her mother. She arrives at a desolate station and meets Arthur Bontrager, who had signed the invitation and has come to introduce her to Beaver Creek School, dirt roads, and the fancy shed where she would live. When she settles into this world of mountain ranges and pine-tree majesty, her old buried questions--about why man had ever been her match--have come along to live with her. After she's injured by wild dogs on her walk home from school, Mary faces new questions. Is she weak if she accepts a Bouvier des Flandres dog from Arthur's friend? Who is the young woman in the photo at Arthur's house? And why does she suddenly care? Does she really belong back in Lancaster? Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade, Yucca, and Good Books imprints, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in fiction--vels, vellas, political and medical thrillers, comedy, satire, historical fiction, romance, erotic and love stories, mystery, classic literature, folklore and mythology, literary classics including Shakespeare, Dumas, Wilde, Cather, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyLinda Byler grew up Amish and is an active member of the Amish church today. She is the author of three bestselling fiction series, all set in the Amish world: Lancaster Burning, Sadie's Montana, and Lizzie Searches for Love. Linda is also well known within the Amish community as a columnist for a weekly Amish newspaper. She lives near Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Linda Byler
- PublisherGood Books
- Date of Publication06/10/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationIntercourse
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGood Books,U.S.
- Weight328 g
- Width140 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.