All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe get our fixed - or malleable - tions of sexuality and gender from a variety of sources: family expectations, a hypersexualizing media gaze, and through the dictates of those great moliths, Faith and Obedience within a/the Church. However, gender is also being formed in the well-worn halls and the ordered environment of classrooms: schools are the great throughways where gender gets most articulated - bartered for and with - during adolescence. This book documents a year-long autoethgraphic study in an all-boys Catholic secondary school. It elucidates how schooling helps form both assumptions and practices about what it means to become a man, and examines how these discourses are reshaped by young men in their daily lives. In the process the book explicates how students come to make sense of and exercise their own identities amidst the discourses of the school around, through, and by religion and gender and, necessarily, sexuality.
- Author BiographyKevin J. Burke is a faculty member with the Alliance for Catholic Education and a fellow in the Institute for Educational Initiatives at the University of Notre Dame. His work centers on curriculum, masculinity studies, gender and queer theory, and critical theology.
- Author(s)Kevin J. Burke
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleComplicated Conversation: A Book Series of Curriculum Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight380 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement2nd New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.