Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
About this product
- DescriptionMass Communication, 3rd Edition Mass Communication delivers an engaging and compact introduction to the field of mass comm without the glitz that does little to improve students' ability to be smarter consumers of media or think critically about the media's role in today's society. Ralph E. Hanson combines solid content, incisive analysis, fun and conversational writing in a highly readable and informative text. Employing an effective media literacy perspective, Hanson shows students that media are t something to be feared or demonized, but rather are an essential part of our lives that should be thoughtfully consumed. Updated to reflect changes in the media landscape, Mass Communication offers expanded discussion of: * the role of social media in breaking domestic and international news stories; * video games as a form of interactive media; * the newspaper industry's continuing financial woes; * further consolidation of the media industry with the NBC/Comcast merger and the News Corporation's purchase of the Wall Street Journal; * public relations as a way of creating, developing, and nurturing relationships between an organization and its key publics; and * integrated marketing communication in the advertising chapter. Key features * Chapter-opening vignettes feature media professionals from Jon Stewart and Annie Leibovitz to Steve Jobs and Twitter founders Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, and Biz Stone. * Timelines place important media events in a broader historical context. * Test Your Media Literacy boxes showcase current research, interviews, or teworthy events with questions that model critical thinking, helping to cultivate critical media consumption. * A marginal glossary helps reinforce learning of key concepts as students read. Issues in Media: Selections from CQ Researcher, 2nd Edition For current coverage of controversial and important issues centering on media, look to the balanced reporting, complete overviews and engaging writing that CQ Researcher has consistently provided for more than eighty years. This brief reader allows students to see the links between media, culture, business and politics.
- Author BiographyRalph E. Hanson is a professor in the communication department at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, where he teaches courses in writing, blogging, reporting, and mass communication. Previously, he was on the faculty at West Virginia University and Northern Arizona University. He has been teaching introduction to mass communication at least 20 years, and he has worked extensively on developing online courses and degree programs. Hanson has a bachelor's degree in journalism and anthropology from Iowa State University, a master's degree in journalism from Iowa State, and a doctorate in sociology from Arizona State University. He is currently working on research about the connection between sports boycotts and civil rights legislation. When Ralph is not out on his motorcycle riding to places a long ways from Nebraska, he is blogging on mass communication issues at http://ralphehanson.com. He tweets as @ralphehanson. CQ Researcher is the choice of librarians, researchers, and students seeking original, comprehensive reporting and analysis on the most vital issues shaping our world. Each weekly report offers in-depth, unbiased coverage of a single topic. Written by CQ Press's staff of experienced reporters, these reports provide up-to-date information on a wide range of social, economic, political, environmental, and international issues.
- Author(s)CQ Researcher,Ralph E. Hanson
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication15/12/2010
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCQ Press
- Width200 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.