All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this impassioned plea for human dignity (Kirkus Reviews) Jonathan Simoncalled one of the outstanding crimilogists of his generation by Nikolas Rose of the London School of Ecomicscharts a surprising path to end mass incarceration in America. Using the landmark Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Plata on overcrowding in California prisons as his starting point, Simon suggests that incarcerating people on a mass scale simply cant be accomplished in comportment with the Eighth Amendment s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment. In an argument that the Los Angeles Review of Books calls unique, Simon contends that because we cant offer meaningful health care, mental health care, or safe and reasonable prison conditions when prisons are run at many times their maximum capacity, mass incarceration is fundamentally incompatible with humane treatment. Todd Clear, former dean of Rutgers School of Criminal Justice, calls Mass Incarceration on Trial highly readable, stunning, Slate says the book could mark the beginning of a new era in American jurisprudence, and David Cole in the New York Review of Books calls Simon s work a sign of the new optimism about criminal justice reform.
- Author BiographyJonathan Simon is the Adrian A. Kragen Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley. His book Governing Through Crime won the American Sociology Association s 2008 Sociology of Law Distinguished Book Award. He lives in Berkeley, California.
- Author(s)Associate Dean of Jurisprudence and Social Policy and Professor of Law Jonathan Simon
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Weight249 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.