All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistory, legend, and folklore have always been Florence Dorsey's chief interests, and a long period of research has preceded the publication of her first book. Master of the Mississippi has been compiled from letters written by Henry Miller Shreve, journals kept by his father and brother, letters by members of the Shreve family, records and descriptions by early adventurers into the Mississippi, Ohio, and Red River countries, and from histories of various parts and phases of the Mississippi Valley. My father, she says, was one of the children who played at Gallatin Place, the country seat of Henry Shreve, and his parents considered it their second home.I heard much of Henry Shreve from them and also from his grandson, who was a frequent guest in my own home. For recreation, Miss Dorsey enthusiastically applaudes water travel, roughing it in the woods, and sessions of sitting around on wharfs listening to sailors' and fishermen's yarns. Born in Illiis, she went to school in Texas, traveled abroad, and later studied at the University of Missouri.
- PublisherPortfolio Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/01/2001
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationMaryland
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPortfolio Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight409 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.