All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhite-collar criminals continue to pick our pockets to the tune of $300 billion every year. These 'socially acceptable' criminals rob more from companies and individuals with a pen or key stroke than a street thug can plunder with a high-powered pistol. --from the Introduction In Masters of Deception, former special agent and intelligence officer Louis Mizell addresses the growing problem of white-collar crime in America. Using actual cases, Mizell exposes scores of perpetrators and their modus operandi, and offers invaluable advice on what to look for, how to avoid being a victim, and how to fight back. Praise for Louis Mizell and Masters of Deception Mizell stands out as a true expert in crime and terrorism who earned his title fighting the bad guys in back alleys, courts, corporate suites, and the new global ecomy. No one else out there can match his kwledge of what the bad guys are doing and how. --James Grady, author of Six Days of the Condor and White Flame Masters of Deception exposes little kwn facts that should be revealed to the unsuspecting public. Mizell may well be the next Ralph Nader in exposing the many ways incent people are victimized by white-collar crime. --Dr. Richard Ward, Associate Chancellor and Professor of Criminal Justice, University of Chicago at Illiis White-collar crime is an alarming epidemic that has reached every big city and small town in America. Invading all sectors, from health care and religion to law and education, it claims millions of victims, and bilks taxpayers out of billions of dollars every year. In Masters of Deception, top crime expert Louis Mizell addresses this serious--and costly--problem, exposing some of the most torious offenders, and providing precautionary measures everyone should take to avoid being taken to the cleaners. Leaving get-rich-quick stone unturned, white-collar criminals strike from every angle. Whether they're doctors overbilling patients, charity workers pocketing donations, or lawyers abusing powers of attorney, their fraudulent practices cost individuals, companies, and institutions billions of dollars. Consider the following: Every year an average of $160 million is stolen or embezzled from schools and colleges all over the country Insurance fraud--property, casualty, and health--is a $95 billion-a-year scam Credit card fraud costs taxpayers nearly $3 billion per year Dishonest lawyers pocket more than $14 billion annually More than $21 billion is being stolen from charities each year In Masters of Deception, Mizell explores the full spectrum of white-collar crime and the misuse of power by professionals we trust, including health care, business, education, and religion. He reveals hundreds of actual cases, from local crimes to such highly publicized incidents as the PTL scandal. With his experienced analytical eye, Mizell is able to spot new and emerging trends and pinpoint signs to look for in identifying potential cons. Sharing his expertise and insight as a former special agent and intelligence officer, Mizell also offers proven tips for fighting back--specific to each sector--as well as an extensive list of contacts for receiving further information, getting help, or reporting a crime. And anyone who believes that white- collar crime is nviolent will be shocked to learn that crime in the suites causes as much death and injury as crime in the streets. Masters of Deception is a timely and authoritative book that will t only raise awareness about white-collar crime, but also allow readers to empower themselves with eugh kwledge to never be a victim.
- Author BiographyLOUIS R. MIZELL, Jr., is a former Special Agent and Intelligence Officer with the U.S. Department of State. He has published five books on personal protection, including Street Sense for Parents and Street Sense for Seniors.
- Author(s)Louis R. Mizell
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication13/11/1996
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight550 g
- Width160 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.