All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on marriage figurinesdouble human figurines that represent relations formed through social alliancesHendon, Joyce, and Lopiparo examine the material relations created in Honduras between AD 500 and 1000, a period of time when a network of social houses linked settlements of a variety of sizes in the region. The authors analyze these small, seemingly insignificant artifacts using the theory of materiality to understand broader social processes. They examine the production, use, and disposal of marriage figurines from six sitesCampo Dos, Cerro Palenque, Copan, Curruste, Tenampua, and Travesiaand explore their role in rituals and ceremonies, as well as in the forming of social bonds and the celebration of relationships among communities. They find evidence of historical traditions reproduced over generations through material media in social relations among individuals, families, and communities, as well as social differences within this network of connected yet independent settlements. Material Relations provides a new and dynamic understanding of how social houses functioned via networks of production and reciprocal exchange of material objects and will be of interest to Mesoamerican archaeologists, anthropologists, and art historians.
- Author BiographyJulia A. Hendon is professor of anthropology at Gettysburg College. Rosemary A. Joyce is professor of anthropology and the Richard and Rhoda Goldman Distinguished Professor in the Social Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley. Jeanne Lopiparo is assistant professor in the Department of Anthropology and Sociology at Rhodes College.
- Author(s)Jeanne Lopiparo,Julia A. Hendon,Rosemary A. Joyce
- PublisherUniversity Press of Colorado
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Colorado
- Content Note4 b/w photos, 30 line drawings, 25 maps & 32 tables
- Weight423 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.