All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBiology is a source of fascination for most scientists, whether their training is in the life sciences or t. In particular, there is a special satisfaction in discovering an understanding of biology in the context of ather science like mathematics. For- nately there are plenty of interesting problems (and fun) in biology, and virtually all scienti?c disciplines have become the richer for it. For example, two major journals, MathematicalBiosciences andJournalofMathematicalBiology, have tripled in size since their inceptions 20-25 years ago. More recently, the advent of gemics has spawned whole new ?elds of study in thebiosciences,?eldssuchasproteomics,comparativegemics,gemicmedicine, pharmacogemics, and structural gemics among them. These new disciplines are as much mathematical as biological. Thevariousscienceshaveagreatdealtogivetooneather, buttherearestilltoo many fences separating them. In writing this book we have adopted the philosophy that mathematical biology is t merely the intrusion of one science into ather, but that it has a unity of its own, in which both biology and mathematics should be equal, complete, and ?ow smoothly into and out of one ather. There is a timeliness in calculating a protocol for administering a drug. Likewise, the signi?cance of bones being sinks for lead accumulation while bonemeal is being sold as a dietary c- cium supplement adds new meaning to mathematics as alifescience. The dynamics of a compartmentalized system are classical; applications to biology can be vel. Exponential and logistic population growths are standard studies; the delay in the increaseofAIDScasesbehindtheincreaseintheHIV-positivepopulationisprovo- tive.
- Author(s)James Herod,Ronald W. Shonkwiler
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication20/10/2014
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleUndergraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note35 black & white tables, biography
- Weight860 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edition Statement2nd ed. 2009
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.