All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionMathematical Explorations follows on from the author's previous book, Creative Mathematics, in the same series, and gives the reader experience in working on problems requiring a little more mathematical maturity. The author's main aim is to show that problems are often solved by using mathematics that is t obviously connected to the problem, and readers are encouraged to consider as wide a variety of mathematical ideas as possible. In each case, the emphasis is placed on the important underlying ideas rather than on the solutions for their own sake. To enhance understanding of how mathematical research is conducted, each problem has been chosen t for its mathematical importance, but because it provides a good illustration of how arguments can be developed. While the reader does t require a deep mathematical background to tackle these problems, they will find their mathematical understanding is enriched by attempting to solve them.
- Author BiographyAlan F. Beardon studied at the University of London and Harvard University, and obtained his PhD from Imperial College London in 1964. He taught at the University of Maryland and the University of Kent before moving to the University of Cambridge in 1968, where he is now an Emeritus Professor. He is the author of six mathematical texts and numerous research papers.
- Author(s)Alan F. Beardon
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2016
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleAims Library of Mathematical Sciences
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note20 b/w illus. 120 exercises
- Weight170 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.