All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume reports the results of a symposium held in Heidelberg during the International Sedimentological Congress in late August and early September, 1971. The symposium, co- sponsored by the International Association for Mathematical Geology, entertained the subject, Mathematical Models of Sedimentary Processes. The subject is most appropriate because sedimentologists have long been concerned with processes and mechanisms of sedi- ment dispersal. Much effort has gone into building physical models such as flumes, stream tables, wave tanks, wind tunnels, etc. , to help understand sedimentological processes. Quantita- tive methods (especially statistics) have been utilized in summarizing these data. It is timely then with the recent developments of simulation and application of computer tech- niques that a symposium be addressed to the use of Mathematical Models of Sedimentary Processes involving some of these new statistically oriented methods and available data bases. Experimentation in geology has been hampered by a scale factor. That is, it is difficult to find suitab. 1e materials for physical models; it is difficult to find a mechanical de- vice which properly represents the forces involved; it is almost impossible to allow adequately for geologic time. Sta- tistically valid models are difficult to obtain with physical models because of material replicate problems. Most problems including the time factor, however, can be eliminated with mathematical models. Mathematical models can be infinitely varied in any number of combinations easily and quickly with the computer.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication02/08/2013
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Series TitleComputer Applications in the Earth Sciences
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note60 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight544 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDaniel Merriam
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1972
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.