Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.92
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $46.99
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionMathematics today is approaching a state of cnSIS. As the demands of science and society for mathematical literacy increase, the percentage of American college students intending to major in mathematics plummets and achievement scores of entering college students continue thelt unremit- ting decline. As research in core mathematics reaches unprecedented heights of power and sophistication, the growth of diverse applied special- ties threatens to fragment mathematics into distinct and frequently hostile mathematical sciences. These crises in mathematics presage difficulties for science and engineer- ing, and alarms are beginning to sound in the scientific and even in the political communities. Citing a trend towards virtual scientific and tech- logical illiteracy and a shrinking of our national commitment to excel- lence ...in science, mathematics and techlogy, a recent study con- ducted for the President by the U. S. National Science Foundation and Department of Education warns of serious impending shortcomings in public understanding of science. Today people in a wide range of n- scientific ...professions must have a greater understanding of techlogy than at any time in our history. Yet our educational system does t w provide such understanding. The study goes on to conclude that present trends pose great risk of manpower shortages in the mathematical and engineering sciences. The pool from which our future scientific and engineering personnel can be drawn is ...in danger of becoming smaller, even as the need for such personnel is increasing. It is time to take a serious look at mathematics tomorrow.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication21/10/2011
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight403 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byL. A. Steen
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.