All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMathematics and Teaching uses case studies to explore complex and pervasive issues that arise in teaching. In this volume, school mathematics is the context in which to consider race, equity, political contexts and the broader social and cultural circumstances in which schooling occurs. This book does t provide immediate or definitive resolutions. Rather, its goal is to provoke and facilitate thoughtful discussion about critical issues for professional decision-making in mathematics teaching. This is the 7th volume in Reflective Teaching and the Social Conditions of Schooling: A Series for Prospective and Practicing Teachers, edited by Daniel P. Liston and Kenneth M. Zeichner. It follows the same format as previous volumes in the series. * Part I includes four case studies of classroom experiences: Race and Teacher Expectations ; Mathematics for All? ; Culture and School Mathematics ; and Politics and School Mathematics. Each case is followed by a space for readers' own reactions and reflections, school stakeholders' reactions, and a summary with additional questions for further discussion. * Part II presents three public arguments representing different views about the issues that arise in mathematics teaching: conservative, liberal and radical multiculturalist. * Part III offers the authors' reflections on the centrality of culture in teaching mathematics, resources and exercises for further reflection, and a bibliography for further reading. Mathematics and Teaching is pertinent for all prospective and practicing teachers at any stage in their teaching careers. It is appropriate for any undergraduate and graduate course addressing mathematics teaching issues.
- Author BiographyMichele D. Crockett is an assistant professor in the Mathematics, Science and Technology division, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign She is a Spencer/National Academy of Education Postdoctoral Fellowship recipient. Her research interests focus on professional development in mathematics education and school reform.
- Author(s)Michele D. Crockett
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleReflective Teaching and the Social Conditions of Schooling Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRoutledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight208 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.