All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Matthean Beatitudes in Their Jewish Origins: A Literary and Speech Act Analysis examines how Matthew used Jewish concepts as paradigmatic utterances for the Matthean community. In fact, the Gospel of Matthew was the most Jewish of the Syptic Gospels, and Matthew's paradigm was the needed transition for understanding the role of the new community post-70 AD. The importance and role of Jewish concepts is evident in Matthew's work. More specifically, the literary nature of the Beatitudes demonstrates a composition that evolved from oral origins. Speech act theory is utilized to point out the oral features of the text as well as to reveal what Jesus did in his sayings. Moreover, a speech act model is presented and applied to the Beatitudes' pericope. Their significance lies in the authoritative utterances of Jesus. By employing speech act theory on the Beatitudes, the sayings of Jesus are investigated to illustrate the force of his eloquence on the Christian community.
- Author BiographyTimothy D. Howell earned his doctorate at the South African Theological Seminary and his master's degree at Temple Baptist Theological Seminary. His research interests have focused on New Testament studies, with a special emphasis in the Gospel of Matthew, as well as social issues, and worldview thinking. He currently teaches at Montreat College in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Author(s)Timothy D. Howell
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/07/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleStudies in Biblical Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number144
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight640 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.