Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionMaybe it's Because I'm a Londoner is the story of Robert Livsey born in London in 1945, just before the end of World War II. His home and family life are deeply affected by the ill health of his mother and a cold, distant father, but he finds the love and stability a child needs in the care of his maternal grandparents. This story describes the boy's deep love of London, in particular the East End, where he was born and brought up. Into his tale are woven the life stories of his immediate family, which all revolve around the area of Bow, before they begin to move out to other parts of London. I was very fortunate from a very early age to be taken to see all the main London sights, and to be told and feel a part of the great traditions and heritage of the capital. Here began an appreciation from which I would enjoy and benefit from for all of my life ...all the places were part of my own territory, my 'home patch'. But closest to home and life's centre for me was Bow. Family treats are related with relish - forays into the capital on public transport to see the sites, trips to the theatre, to Southend and cruises along the River Thames - all these things go towards making the young boy's life a magical adventure. This is a story told with a good deal of light hearted humour, and vivid descriptions of London which makes for a highly evocative read. Maybe it's Because I'm a Londoner serves as a fascinating document that recalls a unique period in the history of London as seen through the eyes of a young boy. Following the destruction and privations of the War, the late 1940s and 50s bring a new sense of possibility and hope as well as structural development. Maybe it's Because I'm a Londoner follows Robert's journey in this new and exciting world as his horizons expand beyond the East End. For any native Londoner, Maybe it's Because I'm a Londoner will prove a highly redolent and stimulating read, full of reminiscences of growing up in this great city.
- Author BiographyBernard Lockett was born in Bow in the heart of London's East End just before the end of World War II. After finishing school he joined P&O as a Clerk in the Freight Department and four years later he moved to Overseas Containers Ltd., travelling all over Europe on business. He then worked in the haulage and transport industries for the next fourteen years. In 1981 he started his own company, Finnchalet Holidays Ltd., specialising in arranging holidays in Scandinavia for British tourists. Bernard grew his company from just 212 passengers in 1982 to 2860 passengers in 1993 when he sold the company. In 1994 the author joined Saga Holidays and by the time he left in 1999 he had risen to a high level of responsibility. In 1998 Bernard Lockett received an award from the Finnish Ambassador for his twenty-three years of service to Finnish tourism.
- Author(s)Bernard Lockett
- PublisherMelrose Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2005
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationEly
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMelrose Books
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.