Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
About this product
- DescriptionThis work offers insight into the part played by superstition in British history - the omens and beliefs that have guided kings and shaped the course of battles. Fact, myth and slapstick have all played their part in the story of these islands, and popular versions of events sometimes differ from those found in the standard history books. This book contains over 400 current and continuing customs, over 300 things to see, and over 150 haunted sites. Each of the customs and celebrations included is given its appropriate day, from New Year's Day to Hogmanay, from Shetland to the Channel Islands. When relevant, a story or event is included.
- Author BiographyPaul Sullivan: Apart from wielding a pen in the social history/folklore arena, Paul is also a professional copywriter and proofreader. Taking frequent time out to record and perform as a folk musician, he is currently living and working in Oxford, researching for a history PhD, and enjoying the company of his wife and three sons. Quentin Cooper: When not side-tracked by myths and customs, Quentin Cooper presents BBC Radio 4's ongoing science series Material World. He has also presented and produced a range of other science, arts, technology and entertainment programmes for radio and television, as well as regularly writing for magazines and newspapers and hosting events and conferences around the world. Despite a lifelong interest in folklore, he is only superstitious when watching Manchester City.
- Author(s)Paul Sullivan,Quentin Cooper
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication27/07/1995
- SubjectThe Occult & Mythology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight280 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.