All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $20.54Free postage
- AU $21.26Free postage
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionEveryone kws the hits 'Hanky Panky', 'Mony Mony', 'I Think We're Alone Now', 'Crimson and Clover', 'Crystal Blue Persuasion'. They are nuggets of rock and pop history. However, few kw the unlikely story of how these hits came to be. In 1966, Tommy James' record 'Hanky Panky' was re-discovered by a Pittsburgh DJ who started playing it on heavy rotation, prompting a tremendous response. James found himself in the office of Morris Levy at Roulette Records, where he was handed a pen and omiusly promised 'one helluva ride'. Morris Levy, the legendary 'godfather' of the music business, needed a hit and 'Hanky Panky' would be his. The song went to #1; James went on to record many more hits; and Levy continued to reign. Me, the Mob, and the Musictells the intimate story of the complex and sometimes terrifying relationship between the bright-eyed, sweet-faced blonde musician from the heartland and the big, bombastic, brutal bully from the Bronx, who hustled, cheated, and swindled his way to the top of the music industry. It is also the story of this swaggering, wildly creative era of rock n' roll when the hits kept coming and payola and the strong arm tactics of the mob were the rm, and what it was like, for better or worse, to be in the middle of it.
- Author BiographyTommy James (born Thomas Gregory Jackson, April 29, 1947, Dayton, Ohio) is the pop-rock star best known as the leader of Tommy James and the Shondells. Performing locally in Niles, Michigan, from the age of 12, James went on to record many top hits, including Hanky Panky, I Think We're Alone Now, Mony Mony, Crimson and Clover, Sweet Cherry Wine, Mirage, Do Something to Me, Gettin' Together, Crystal Blue Persuasion, and Draggin' the Line. He has sold over 100 million records, has been awarded twenty-three gold singles, and nine gold and platinum albums. His songs are widely used in television and film, and have been covered by Joan Jett, Billy Idol, Tiffany, Tom Jones, Prince, and R.E.M. Tommy James continues to tour the country and record.
- Author(s)Tommy James
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication14/04/2011
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight233 g
- Width139 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.