All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn previous books Arld Pacey has written about the role of ideas and ideals in the creation of techlogy, about the global history of techlogy, and about how the complex interaction of political, cultural, ecomic, and scientific influences determines the course of techlogical practice. In Meaning in Techlogy, he explores how an individual's sense of purpose and meaning in life can affect the shape and use of techlogy. Stressing that there is hierarchy of meaning in techlogy, he argues against reductionism in interpreting techlogy in a human context, and for ackwledgment of the role of the human experience of purpose when it helps to express meaning in techlogy.In the first part of the book, Pacey analyzes the direct experience of techlogy by individuals--engineers, mathematicians, craft workers, and consumers. He looks at music as a source of techlogy, at visual thinking, at tactile kwledge, and at the generation of social meaning. In the second part, he examines the contexts in which techlogy is used, relating techlogy to nature and society. He explores our sense of place and of our relationship with nature, environmental concerns, gender, and creativity. He concludes with a discussion of the possibilities of a more people-centered techlogy--a participatory, ethical experience of techlogy that values people as well as their environment.
- Author BiographyArnold Pacey is an Associate Lecturer at the Open University,Britain. He is the author of The Culture of Technology (MITPress, 1983), Technology and World Civilization (MIT Press,1991), and The Maze of Ingenuity, second edition (MIT Press,1992).
- Author(s)Arnold Pacey
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication02/04/2001
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note3
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.