All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome of the most important questions regarding the relationship between media and culture are about communication. How are the meanings which make up a culture shared in society? How is power performed in the media? What identities and relationships take shape there? Media Discourses introduces readers to discourse analysis to show how media communication works. Written in a lively style and drawing on examples from contemporary media, it discusses what precisely gets represented in mediatexts, who gets to do the talking, what kwledge people need toshare in order to understand the media and how power relations are reinforced or challenged. Each chapter discusses a particular media genre, including news, advertising, reality television and weblogs. At the same time, each chapter also introduces a range of approaches to media discourse, from analysis of linguistic details to the rules of conversation and the discursive construction of selfhood. A glossary explains key terms and suggestions for further reading are given at the end of each chapter. This is a key text for media studies, mass communication, communication studies, linguistics and journalism studies students.
- Author BiographyDonald Matheson lectures in mass communication at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. He worked previously at Cardiff and Strathclyde Universities in the UK, where he taught both critical and practical courses on journalism. Before that he was a news reporter in New Zealand. His research focuses on journalists' writing practices and new media writing such as weblogs.
- Author(s)Donald Matheson
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2005
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight890 g
- Width67 mm
- Height89 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.68
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $23.77Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $52.91
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $32.10Trending at AU $44.92
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.