All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe second book in The Converging World series, Media, Ecology and Conservation focuses on global connectivity and the role of new digital and traditional media in bringing people together to protect the world's endangered wildlife and conserve fragile and threatened habitats. New media offers opportunities for like-minded individuals, community groups, businesses and public organisations to learn and work cooperatively for the good of all species. One of the key themes of this book explores the important issue of how new information and communication techlogies mediate the natural world, and our understanding of our place in it. By exploring the role of film, television, video, photography and the internet in animal conservation in the USA, India, Africa, Australia and the United Kingdom John Blewitt investigates the politics of media representation surrounding important controversies such as the trade in bushmeat, whaling and habitat destruction. The work and acheivements of media/conservation activists are located within a cultural framework that simultaneously loves nature, reveres animals but too often igres the uncomfortable realities of species extinction and animal cruelty.
- Author BiographyDr John Blewitt is Director of Lifelong Learning at Aston University. He is author of Understanding Sustainable Development (Earthscan, 2008) and a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Commission on Education and Communication.
- Author(s)John Blewitt
- PublisherUIT Cambridge
- Date of Publication02/09/2010
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Series TitleConverging World Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 2
- Place of PublicationTotnes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGreen Books
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword bySir David Attenborough,Harriet Nimmo
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.