All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume on print and broadcast media in the 19th and 20th centuries highlights the pivotal role that the media played in the establishment and maintenance of imperial power. The media bolstered both the ideological and financial objectives of the empire in a myriad of overt, covert, and downright scandalous ways. From jeopardising the introduction of wireless telegraphy in order to maximise the financial gains of the investors of under-sea cabling, to newspaper proprietors cashing in on the thrilling, wonderful (and sometimes fabricated) adventures of war correspondents in exotic lands, the media has had a constant background influence in the public's perception of empire. By covering diverse topics from Anthony Lejeune's radio talk-show 'London Letters' - which supported the Allies by boosting morale and providing a link between soldiers fighting abroad and their families during both World Wars, to the complete subversion of imperial influence - as in the case of the proliferation of diverse media platforms being used by migrant communities in Britain as a means to promote 'colonization in reverse', the book hints at the politics, suspense, and intrigue of both the print and broadcast sectors. This book was originally published as a special issue of Critical Arts.
- Author BiographyRuth Teer-Tomaselli is Director of the Centre for Communication, Media and Society at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (Howard College), Durban, South Africa. Donal McCracken is Acting Dean and Head of the School of Applied Human Sciences in the Faculty of Humanities at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/02/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight522 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byDonal P. McCracken,Ruth Teer-Tomaselli
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.