All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeadership and management in the context of healthcare is about improving the quality of medical care delivered at all levels. Doctors frequently lead healthcare teams with responsibility for significant clinical resource which requires management and leadership skills regardless of specialty. A growing body of literature has also argued that medical leadership plays an integral part in the success and effectiveness of organisational change in the health sector. Being an effective medical leader requires a different set of skills from being a good clinician. It is therefore important that future medical graduates are supported and equipped with the high-level skills required for their role (e.g. leading and developing multidisciplinary teams, understanding organizational systems, processes and interdependencies, redesigning services and working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders). This growing interest across the globe in preparing medical graduates for the role of medical manager and leader requires a comprehensive approach to education and training which begins at an undergraduate level. As an undergraduate these skills are frequently neglected or t taught well. However, with the correct resources and using a case-based approach the undergraduate program can easily support the development of practical leadership and management skills. The case studies and supporting text will provide an overview of the fundamentals of leadership theory and practice relevant to medical students, junior doctors and specialty trainees. Using internationally recognized competency frameworks this book will support the acquisition of kwledge and skills relevant to medical management and leadership such as project management, intelligent leadership, presentation skills, audit, organizational decision making and engaging relevant stakeholders.
- Author BiographyProfessor MacCarrick has held posts as Dean of Medical Education in medical schools in Australia and Ireland and has helped prepare medical schools in both countries for both institutional self review and high stakes accreditation. She has also been an external assessor in medical school site visits in both hemispheres. Since graduating from medicine twenty years ago she has filled leadership roles in education and management in a range of medical organizations: hospitals, medical schools, defence force establishments and post graduate training programs. These posts have included Ireland's first Professor of Medical Education (Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland); Foundation Director of Medical Education at University of Tasmania; Director of Medical Services in teaching hospitals in Australia; Senior Medical Officer (Squadron Leader rank) in a RAAF military medical establishment; Medical Educator with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Training Program in two Australian States (Tasmania and Townsville) and fifteen years in General Practice in a variety of health care settings including rural practice. With 23 years in clinical, teaching and health administration working in a variety of different health care settings she has an in-depth knowledge of the education and training issues facing the medical profession, the challenges and expectations of both clinicians and educators and the processes of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in tertiary, regional and rural settings.
- Author(s)Geraldine MacCarrick
- PublisherSpringer London Ltd
- Date of Publication21/09/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationEngland
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpringer London Ltd
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight140 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.