All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn January 2000, Dr Harold Shipman, an English GP, was found guilty of murdering fifteen of his patients. Before the trial, many assumed Shipman was an overzealous doctor accused of going too far in providing comfort to dying elderly patients. This was t the case. Shipman deliberately and callously murdered t just fifteen, but several hundred patients making him a medical serial killer of extreme dimensions. History is dotted with stories of murderous doctors - some kill for private reasons, others as a service to the state, yet others seem to have a perverse God complex. Rob Kaplan has made an extensive study of doctors who kill. In addition to Shipman, he has delved into the worlds of such monsters as Dr Harry Bailey, the Sydney psychiatrist who dispatched numerous patients with the discredited Deep Sleep Therapy. Then there is Dr Radovan Karadzic, the psychiatrist who led the gecide during the Bosnian war, murderers from history like Dr William Palmer, who poisoned his victims for insurance money, and more recent cases like Dr Jayant Patel, who terrorised the Bundaberg hospital. Medical Murder explores the twisted motivations of a parade of stealthy killers and grapples with the chilling paradox of why these healers spend years learning and practising the techniques of preserving life only to use their medical skills in horrendous experiments, torture, gecide or just plain murder.
- Author BiographyDr Robert Kaplan is a forensic psychiatrist and historian based at the Liaison Clinic in Wollongong, NSW.
- PrizesShortlisted for Ned Kelly Awards for Australian Crime Writing: Best True Crime Category 2010.
- Author(s)Robert M. Kaplan
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2009
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Weight324 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.