All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a wide-ranging guide to the diagsis and management of the numerous medical and surgical complications that may arise in patients with sickle cell anemia. After introductory chapters on the genetics, pathophysiology, clinical features, and variants of sickle cell anemia, the complications observed in different parts of the body are addressed in a series of well-illustrated chapters. The coverage includes splenic, hepatobiliary, musculoskeletal, gastrointestinal, ophthalmological, cardio- and cerebrovascular, and renal complications, as well as acute chest syndrome, leg ulcers, hand and foot syndrome, acute appendicitis, and priapism. Treatment-oriented chapters consider perioperative management, blood transfusion therapy, hydroxyurea treatment, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, and emerging strategies. The book is clearly written in a distinctive bullet point format for ease of reference and emphasizes especially aspects of practical significance. It will be of value for hematologists, general surgeons, internists, pediatricians, pediatric surgeons, fellows, residents, medical students, and nurses.
- Author BiographyAhmed Al-Salem is a consultant pediatric surgeon who for many years has been interested in sickle cell anemia and its complications. He has worked at Qatif Central Hospital and the Maternity and Children's Hospital in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, an area known to have a high incidence of sickle cell anemia. Dr. Al-Salem has published more than 260 papers and written three books; 46 of his publications have been related to sickle cell anemia. Dr. Al-Salem received his medical degree (MBBS) from King Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabia in 1981 and was top of his class. He was awarded a certificate as one of the best graduates of the Colleges of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. In 1985, he was awarded a prize by the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland as the best candidate in the Primary FRCSI Examination. He continued his training in general surgery and pediatric surgery and in 1987 he received his fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. He is also a fellow of both the American College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons. Dr. Al-Salem has served as a member of the Scientific Committee of the Saudi Board of Pediatric Surgery and chairman of the Training and Hospital Recognition Committee. He is also a member of the Arab Association of Pediatric Surgeons, the Asian Association of Pediatric Surgeons, the British Association of Pediatric Surgeons, the Examination Comm ittee of the Saudi Board of Pediatric Surgery, and the Saudi Scientific Pediatric Surgery Association. He is on the editorial board of several journals and also a reviewer for several journals.
- Author(s)Ahmed H. Al-Salem
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication15/12/2015
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note206 black & white illustrations, 99 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight747 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.