All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy and how did ADHD become the most commonly diagsed mental disorder among children and adolescents, as well as one of the most controversial? Stimulant medication had been used to treat excessively hyperactive children since the 1950s. And the behaviors that today might lead to an ADHD diagsis had been observed since the early 1930s as organic drivenness, and then by various other names throughout the decades.Rick Mayes and his coauthors argue that a unique alignment of social and ecomic trends and incentives converged in the early 1990s with greater scientific kwledge to make ADHD the most prevalent pediatric mental disorder. New movements advocating for the rights of children and the disabled and a massive increase in Medicaid spending on psychotropic drugs all contributed to the dramatic spike in ADHD diagses and stimulant use. Medicating Children is unique in that it integrates analyses of the clinical, political, historical, educational, social, ecomic, and legal aspects of ADHD and stimulant pharmacotherapy. Thus, it will be invaluable to educators, clinicians, parents, and policymakers, all of whom are trying to determine what is in the best interest of millions of children.
- Author BiographyRick Mayes is Associate Professor of Public Policy, Catherine Bagwell is Associate Professor of Psychology, and Jennifer Erkulwater is Associate Professor of Political Science, all at the University of Richmond.
- Author(s)Catherine Bagwell,Jennifer Erkulwater,Rick Mayes
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication09/12/2008
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note4 line illustrations, 4 tables
- Weight699 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.