All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book contains the papers presented at a NATO Advanced Research Institute on Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems , held at Heraklion-Crete, Greece, from September 23-27, 1983. A workshop rather than a conference, it was sponsored by the Eco-Sciences Special Programme Panel, in cooperation with the Marine Science Panel. The third of its kind, it was scheduled in the framework of a project on a multidisciplinary integrated approach to the study of the Mediterranean. This Sea and the surrounding land was t only the cradle of many civilizations but is, up to the present time, one of the major world areas of marine traffic, communication and exchanges, fisheries and aquacultures, inshore human activities and *** pollu- tion. To a certain degree it constitutes a gigantic natural labo- ratory, where the fate of threatened aquatic and terrestrial eco- systems including the human one, is tested. The Mediterranean Sea, with its geological history and present- day geographic, hydrological and climatic conditions is believed to form an ecological entity. Important exchanges and mutual influences take place with the surrounding land area and the water masses, naturally (Atlantic, Black Sea) or artificially (Red Sea), connected to the Mediterranean. Therefore, a better and in-depth kwledge of the various ecosystems, benthic, planktonic and nektonic, neritic or pelagic, in the Western or the Eastern Basin seems to be a pre- requisite to any action in preserving, upgrading and managing the natural resources of the area.
- Author(s)Maria Moraitou-Apostolopoulou
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication06/07/2013
- Series TitleNATO Conference Series / I Ecology
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight581 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1985
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.