Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.85Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Johnquell, an African American teen, suffers a serious accident in the home of his white neighbor, Mrs. Czernicki, his community must find ways to bridge divisions between black and white, gay and straight, old and young. Set in one of the nation's most highly segregated cities-Milwaukee, Wisconsin-Meet Me Halfway tells stories of connections in a community with a tumultuous and divided past. In nine stories told from diverse perspectives, Jennifer Morales captures a Rust Belt city's struggle to establish a common ground and a collective vision of the future. Morales gives life to multifaceted characters-white schoolteachers and senior citizens, Lati landlords, black and Puerto Rican teens, political activists, and Vietnam vets. As their lives unfold in these stories, we learn about Johnquell's family-his grandparents' involvement in the local Black Panther Party, his sister's on-again, off-again friendship with a white classmate, and his aunt's identity crisis as she finds herself falling in love with a woman. We also meet Johnquell's mother, Gloria, and his school friend Taquan, who is struggling to chart his own future. As an activist mother in the thick of Milwaukee politics, Morales developed a keen ear and a tender heart for the kids who have inherited the city's troubled racial legacy. With a critical eye on promises unfulfilled, Meet Me Halfway raises questions about the tion of a postracial society and, with humor and compassion, lifts up the day-to-day work needed to get there.
- Author BiographyJennifer Morales lived for more than twenty years in Milwaukee, USA, where she raised children and served on the Milwaukee Board of School Directors-the first Latino/a elected to it. She earned her MFA from Antioch University-Los Angeles, USA. She now lives in Viroqua, Wisconsin, and is a board member of the Council for Wisconsin Writers and the Driftless Writing Center.
- Author(s)Jennifer Morales
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best Selling in Fiction Books
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $57.17New
- AU $47.50Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor's Official Guide by BBC Children's Books (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $18.53New
- AU $6.51New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $57.17
- AU $55.79Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $18.53
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.57
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $33.96Trending at AU $35.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.