All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionThe mega-earthquake occurred on February 27 of March 2010, along the coast of the central Chile in South America, produced an early and shacked weak up to millions of people. The 8.8 Richter scale event hit the central zone at 03:34 A.M. while people were sleeping. Then, as if the damage weren't eugh and still at dark, it was followed by a t only devastating but also lethal tsunami that was strong eugh to travel across the Pacific Ocean, hitting Asia only fourteen hours after. This earthquake is the fifth more intense ever measured and it was so strong that Scientific American published in the March 4th newsletter the following article: The magnitude 8.8 earthquake that jolted Chile on Saturday was felt as far away as Sao Paulo. But NASA scientists are proposing that its repercussions are truly global in a geophysical sense: it likely shifted Earth's axis by about eight centimeters. But unfortunately the tragedy didn't stop with the earthquake. It also originated a tsunami that hit the coast with 4 waves, the first arriving just a few minutes after the earthquake and the last, several hours after. This tsunami was so strong that it has been detected that at least one wave was 30 meters or 98 feet high. Before continuing I would like to prevent lecturers from falling into the temptation of thinking that this mega-nature-events, only happen in faraway lands affecting people quite different from us. The Indonesian Tsunami of December 2004 was very distant from Chile t only in miles but also in cultural terms. And w, it's clear that Indonesian experience helped to prevent more fatalities. That's why this book has been written to urge people living in the Pacific Rim, to take some time to analyze their situation, the one of each community and act in order to prevent or reduce potential damages and casualties.
- Author BiographyNaval Electronic Engineer, left the navy after 14 years and went back to school to get an MBA. Worked at Rockwell automation and its distributor in Chile, then co-founded BlueNow ( www.bluenow.cl), a firm oriented to energy efficiency of the electrical consumption and lighting desing, while he also works in a family holding in construction and realstate in Vina del Mar.
- Author(s)Rodrigo Larenas
- Date of Publication30/06/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight104 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.