All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBig, unexpected changes are here to stay Slow, incremental change has become a relic of the past. Today's shifts come fast and big. They are what Darrell West calls megachanges, in which dramatic disruptions in trends and policies occur on a regular basis. Domestically, we can see megachange at work in the new attitudes and policies toward same-sex marriage, health care, smoking, and even the widespread legalization of marijuana use. Globally, we have seen the extraordinary rise and then collapse of the Arab Spring, the emergence of religious zealotry, the growing influence of n-state actors, the spread of ISIS-fomented terrorism, the rise of new ecomic and political powers in Asia, and the fracturing of once-stable international alliances. Long-held assumptions have been shattered, and the proliferation of unexpected events is confounding experts in the United States and around the globe. Many of the social and political institutions that used to anchor domestic and international politics have grown weak or are in need to dramatic reform. What to do? West says that we should alter our expectations about the speed and magnitude of political and social change. We also need to recognize that many of our current governing processes are geared to slow deliberation and promote incremental change, t large-scale transformation. With megachange becoming the new rmal, our domestic and global institutions must develop the ability to tackle the massive ecomic, political, and social shifts that we face.
- Author BiographyDarrell M. West is vice president of governance studies and director of the Center for Technology Innovation at the Brookings Institution. He is the author of twenty-one books on contemporary politics, including, most recently, Billionaires: Reflections on the Upper Crust (Brookings, 2014).
- Author(s)Darrell M. West
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Weight408 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.