All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMelodrama: Genre, Style and Sensibility is designed as an accessible overview of the, often complex, debates that emerge out of the connections between melodrama and cinema. The book identifies three distinct but connected concepts through which it is possible to make sense of melodrama; either as a genre, originating in European theatre of the 18th and 19th century, as a specific cinematic style, epitomised by the work of Douglas Sirk or as a sensibility that emerges in the context of specific texts, speaking to and reflecting the desires, concerns and anxieties of audiences. Each chapter includes overviews of key essays, analyses of significant and widely studied films and includes an antated reading list.
- Author BiographyJohn Mercer is a lecturer in Film and Media Studies and Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College. Martin Shingler is the co-author of On Air: Methods and Meanings in Radio (Arnold) with Cindy Wieringa. He has contibuted to Screen Acting (Routledge) and Hollywood Spectatorship (BFI).
- Author(s)John Mercer,Martin Shingler
- PublisherWallflower Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleShort Cuts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWallflower Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width154 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.