All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJapan's introduction to Western literature came though American literature, as things European were imported to Japan via the United States. Prior to World War II, the Japanese read such writers as Washington Irving, Poe, and Hawthorne, partly to practice their English. Today these writers are less popular in Japan, but younger Japanese scholars are turning more and more attention to Herman Melville. This book is the first English-language volume of Japanese scholarship on Melville. With chapters contributed by the leading scholars in Japan, it presents a variety of attitudes from the traditional to the new. Following the introduction, the volume opens with a chapter by Kenzaburo Ohashi on Melville's reception in Japan. The next chapter discusses the literary interaction between Hawthorne and Melville after Moby-Dick, and is followed by two chapters on Moby-Dick. Chapter 5 discusses Melville's transcendentalism. Additional chapters cover Israel Porter The Confidence Man, Clarel, Melville's later poetry, and Billy Budd. The work concludes with a bibliographical essay on Japanese scholarship and includes a full subject index.
- Author BiographyKENZABURO OHASHI is a leading Melville scholar and professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, and lecturer at Ferris Women's University in Yokohama. In addition to his works written in Japanese, he is the author of Native Soil and the World Beyond: William Faulkner and Japanese Novelists (1984).
- Author(s)Kenzaburo Ohashi
- Date of Publication30/07/1993
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleContributions in American Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 103.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.