All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionAcclaimed poet Susan Wheeler, whose last individual collection predicted the spiritual losses of the ecomic collapse, turns her attention to the most intimate of subjects: the absence or loss of love.A meme is a unit of thought replicated by imitation; examples of memes, Richard Dawkins wrote, are tunes, ideas, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches. Occupy Wall Street is a meme, as are internet ideas and images that go viral. What could be more potent memes than those passed down by parents to their children?Wheeler reconstructs her mother s voice down to its cynicism and its mid twentieth-century midwestern vernacular in The Maud Poems, a voice that takes a more aggressive, vituperative turn in The Devil or The Introjects. In the book s third long sequence, a generational inheritance feeds cultural transmission in The Split. A set of variations on losses and break-ups wildly, darkly funny throughout and, in places, devastatingly sad The Split brings Wheeler s lauded inventiveness, wit, and insight to the profound loss of love. One read, and the meme Should I stay or should I go? will be altered in your head forever.
- Author BiographySusan Wheeleris the author of the poetry collections Bag o Diamonds, which received the Norma Farber First Book Award of the Poetry Society of America; Smokes, which won the Four Way Books Award; Source Codes ; Ledger, winner of the Iowa Poetry Prize; and Assorted Poems. Her novel, Record Palace, was published in 2005. She teaches at Princeton University, where she also directs the Creative Writing Program.
- Author(s)Susan Wheeler
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleKuhl House Poets
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight136 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.