All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this daring new work, the poet Alice Oswald strips away the narrative of the Iliad-the anger of Achilles, the story of Helen-in favor of attending to its atmospheres: the extended similes that bring so much of the natural order into the poem and the corresponding litany of the war-dead, most of whom are little more than names but each of whom lives and dies unforgettably and unforgotten in the copious retrospect of Homer's glance. The resulting poem is a war memorial and a profoundly responsive work that gives new voice to Homer's level-voiced version of the world. Through a mix of narrative and musical repetition, the sequence becomes a meditation on the loss of human life.
- Author BiographyAlice Oswald has been awarded the Eric Gregory Award, an Arts Foundation Award for Poetry, the Forward Prize, the Ted Hughes Award, and the T.S. Eliot Prize. She lives in Devon, England. Eavan Boland is the author of more than a dozen volumes of poetry and nonfiction. A professor and the director of the creative writing program at Stanford University, she is the winner of a Lannan Foundation Award. She lives in Stanford, California, and Dublin, Ireland.
- PrizesWinner of Warwick Prize for Writing 2013.
- Author(s)Alice Oswald
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication22/08/2012
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight270 g
- Width152 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $52.78
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.