All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMemories from Pembroke Dock is an anthology of memories, reminiscences and experiences of people w living in South Pembrokeshire. Pembroke Dock is celebrating its bicentenary in 2014, and this volume is essential reading for anybody who kws and loves this part of South Wales. The estuary of Milford Haven has long been used by seafarers seeking shelter and as a convenient base for military operations as well as trade. From this evolved boat and ship building, maritime trade and a strong affiliation with the Royal Navy, with the establishment of the Royal Dockyard. These developments, particularly that of the Royal Dockyard, required a large workforce that could t be supplied by the local population alone, so there was a major influx of working men and their families, resulting in the establishment of the new town of Pater Church. It was the start of a process of industrialisation that has ebbed and flowed to the present day. One effect has been a polyglot population and the unique Pembroke Dock accent.
- Author BiographyKen MacCallum, a Llanreath boy, left school and went to sea, eventually rising to Master Mariner. He later graduated and had a new career in Higher Education. After a Masters degree he became a consultant in the offshore industry. He is now retired and member of Pembroke Probus Club.
- Author(s)Ken MacCallum
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.