All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis essay collection examines the dynamics of memory organization and the way it varies among different media and modes of discourse in post-unification Germany. German unification has put the post-war period into a historical perspective. Such a rupture raises questions concerning the appropriate commemoration, preservation and reinterpretation of the past. The processes of reorientation after unification influenced the self-perception of literary authors as well as the social role, position and status of German literature. They also affected the way writers viewed the competition in which they found themselves pitted against visual and electronic media as rival windows on the past. In the context of several debates on German literature during the 1990s the discussion revolved t only around the adequate aesthetic representation of the historical and cultural heritage but even more so around the role of literature itself in that process. The contributions look at different discourses that were and still are concerned with reinterpreting and creating new collective symbols and narrative patterns in relation to Germany s past. The volume focuses on the effects of the characteristic discourses of the press, literature and its different genres, film, the internet and memorials on the depiction and performance of memories.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Silke Arnold-de Simine is Assistant Professor of German at the University of Mannheim (Germany) where she teaches literature and film. She was educated at the Universities of Munich, Karlsruhe, Oxford and Mannheim. Between 2001-2003, she was DAAD Lektorin at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. Her current research is on the organization of memory in the media of literature, film and institutions such as the museum in relation to German reunification.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCultural History & Literary Imagination
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note14 ill.
- Weight480 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited bySilke Arnold-de Simine
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.