All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUse the ingenious communication and memory aids featured in this practical guide to significantly improve the ability of people with dementia and related memory impairments to stay connected, engaged, and functioning at their optimal level of independence. Presenting a wide array of evidence-based examples, Memory and Communication Aids for People with Dementia contains all the information needed to develop personalised supports for any individual and every circumstance. From low-tech options such as memory wallets, memo boards, planners, and reminder cards to commercial products available through new electronic techlogies, these simple but powerful tools help to provide conversation prompts, answers to common questions, and reminders for daily living. Confusion, anxiety, frustration, and challenging behaviours melt away when individuals are able to communicate their needs and preferences to caregivers remember important names, places, and appointments complete tasks unassisted engage in meaningful conversations and social interactions recall past events and achievements preserve their dignity and identity Full-colour illustrations and simple instructions for creating various memory and communication tools are included. Abundant examples of useful content and formats are supplemented by more than 30 downloadable guides and templates to use or customise. Speech-language pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, activity directors, direct care staff, and family members interacting with adults with memory impairments will welcome this practical and life-enhancing resource.
- Author BiographyMichelle S. Bourgeois , Ph.D., CCC/SLP, is currently Professor in the Department of Communication Disorders, College of Communication, an Affiliate of the Pepper Institute on Aging and Public Policy at the Florida State University, USA and the Co-Principal Investigator and Research Coordinator of the Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare Memory Disorders Clinic. A clinical researcher, Dr. Bourgeois has published numerous research articles and training manuals. Her Memory Book treatment was featured on a nationally syndicated public television programme for the elderly entitled, Agewise - Living Better, and her interactive CD-ROM training programme for nursing aides received several awards. She was the Past-President of the Behavioral Gerontology Special Interest Group of the Association of Behavior Analysis, and she has served on the editorial boards of several professional journals. She is an active member of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the Gerontological Society of America.
- Author(s)Michelle S. Bourgeois
- PublisherHealth Professions Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/11/2013
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHealth Professions Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white, and colour)
- Weight540 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.