Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Samuele Stocchi is two years old the village sage can already see a heart shaped like a wolf's head beating in his breast: the heart of a murderer. As a colonial soldier in Northern Africa, recruited from one subject land to subdue ather, the sixteen-year-old Stocchi learns to kill before he has learned to love, and it is a skill he hones to perfection on the pitiless battlefields of the Corso Front in the Great War. Returning to Sardinia a hero to a pauper's welcome, he finds his family swindled and his sweetheart stolen away by the richest clan in the region, and from one first crime of passion a bitter feud is born. Stocchi terrorizes his wealthy neighbours and anyone who dares to till their land until, with Italy w firmly under Mussolini's boot, his elimination becomes Il Duce's priority. As he continues to elude capture, the seeds of myth are sown and the legend of Samuele Stocchi is forged. Shrouded by mystery and portent, Memory of the Abyss is a stirring fusion of myth, history and fiction, a daring re-imagining of the true story of a torious Sardinian bandit and a deft excavation of the island's cultural roots by one of Italy's most gifted and celebrated writers.
- Author BiographyMarcello Fois was born in Sardinia in 1960 and is one of a gifted group of writers called 'Group 13', who explore the cultural roots of their various regions. He writes for the theatre, television and cinema, and is the author several novels, including The Advocate (2003). Patrick Creagh is the award-winning translator of Antonio Tabucchi, Salvatore Satta, Italo Calvino, Flavio Conti, Gesualdo Bufalino and Claudio Magris.
- PrizesWinner of Premio Grinzane Cavour 2007 and Premio Alassio Centolibri 2007 and Premio Volponi 2007.
- Author(s)Marcello Fois
- PublisherQuercus Publishing
- Date of Publication26/04/2012
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMacLehose Press
- Weight350 g
- Width147 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byPatrick Creagh
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.