All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMemory's Stories is an interdisciplinary analysis of multicultural life narratives. The author created an invative schema to evaluate classic and contemporary texts, synthesizing theoretical perspectives from psychology, literary theory, feminist and multicultural studies. The schema is based on his fifteen years of teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, such as Multicultural Autobiographies and Psychology, Multicultural Narratives, and Religion. Chapter One introduces the author's schema and explores Saint Augustine's The Confessions. Chapter Two uses Erik Erikson's psychosocial development theory to examine Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain. In Chapter Three, the author evaluates Black Elk Speaks and The Autobiography of Malcolm X, using William James's psychology of religion framework. Feminist literary theorists, like Sidonie Smith, provide the critical tools for Chapter Four and Maxine Hong Kingston's The Woman Warrior. In Chapter Five, with Dan McAdams's life story model of identity, the author analyzes three serial autobiographies by Richard Rodriguez: Hunger of Memory; Days of Obligation; and Brown. Chapter Six synthesizes recent interdisciplinary scholarship on redemption stories, invative composition strategies, and cognitive science research on autobiographical memory, evaluating James McBride's auto/biography, The Color of Water.
- Author BiographyThomas McGovern is a Professor of Psychology and co-founder of the Department of Integrative Studies at Arizona State University at the West Campus. A Fellow of the American Psychological Association and its Society for the Teaching of Psychology, he was the CASE / Carnegie Foundation Professor of the Year in Arizona in 2003.
- Author(s)Thomas V. McGovern
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication15/06/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight444 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.