All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJulius Schlesinger, aspiring SS officer, has received orders to remove from the roof of Prague's concert hall the statue of the Jewish composer Felix Mendelssohn. But which of the figures adorning the roof is the Jew? Remembering his course on racial science, Schlesinger instructs his men to pull down the statue with the biggest se. Only as the statue they have carefully chosen begins to topple does he recognize that it is t Mendelssohn; it is Richard Wagner. Thus begins a story of disarming simplicity that traces the transformation of ordinary lives in Nazi-occupied Prague. Death abetted by the petty malevolence of Nazi functionaries wins all the battles but ultimately loses the war, defeated by the fragile flowering of courage and defiance.
- Author BiographyJi i Weil(6 August 1900, Praskolesy - 13 December 1959, Prague) was a Czech writer. He was Jewish. His noted works include the two novels Life with a Star ( ivot s hv zdou), and Mendelssohn Is on the Roof (Na st e e je Mendelssohn), as well as many short stories, and other novels.
- Author(s)Jierai Weil,Marie Winn
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2004
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleJewish Lives
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.14Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $30.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.