Mental Health Professional and the New Technologies: A Handbook for Practice Today by Joseph P. McMenamin, Myron L. Pulier, Frank H. Wilhelm, Nancy E. Brown-Connolly, Marlene M. Maheu (Hardback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $92.72Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $100.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the last two decades, new communication techlogies have dramatically changed the world in which mental health professionals and their patients live. Developments such as e-mail, online chat groups, Web pages, search engines, and electronic databases are directly or indirectly affecting most people's routines and expectations. Other developments are poised to do so in the near future. Already, for example, patients are acquiring both good and bad advice and information on the Web; many expect to be able to reach their therapists by e-mail. And already there is pressure from third party payers for providers to submit claims electronically. These techlogical breakthroughs have the potential to make mental health care more widely available and accessible, affordable, acceptable to patients, and adaptable to special needs. But many mental health professionals, as well as those who train them, are skeptical about integrating the new capabilities into their services and question the ethical and legal appropriateness of doing so. Those unfamiliar with the techlogies tend to be particularly doubtful. How much e-mail contact with patients should I encourage or permit, and for what purposes? Why should I set up a Web site and how do I do so and what should I put on it? Should I refer patients to chat groups or Web-based discussion forums? Could video-conferencing be a helpful tool in some cases and what is involved? How do I avoid trouble if I dare to experiment with invations? And last but t least, will the results of my experimentation be cost-effective? The book includes: * an extensive overview of legal and regulatory issues, such as those raised by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA); * concrete technical, ethical, and managerial suggestions summarized in a seven-step Online Consultation Risk Management model; and * how to resource lists and sample documents of use to beginners and experienced professionals alike. For better or worse, mental health professional today can avoid confronting the issues presented by the new techlogies. The Mental Health Professional and the New Techlogies: A Handbook for Practice Today will ermously simplify the job of thinking through the issues and making clinically, ethically, and legally prudent decisions.
- Author(s)Frank H. Wilhelm,Joseph P. McMenamin,Marlene M. Maheu,Myron L. Pulier,Nancy E. Brown-Connolly
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication02/09/2004
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationMahwah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1166 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.